don't postpone joy

Monday, November 28, 2005

My angel baby...

Although I believe that Heaven exists where ever we make it, and I believe that there is Heaven here on Earth, this child was sent directly from the purest, most divine place...somewhere not of this Earth~
My weekend in California was short and sweet--just like this child. Aunty Daisy was in the hotseat the whole 5 days. He is alert and beautiful. Good natured and happy. His daddy was just like that, too. I still can't believe that my little brother is a Daddy. We went to a movie Friday, and talked about seeing another one after. My mom sneaks into other theatres, but my brother said he just couldn't do that. When I asked him why, his response was " I'm somebody's Dad, now"...this coming from a guy who used to guzzle Jack Daniels daily, and has pictures of Varga girls tatooed all over his bod...I'm so proud of him. He has a nice little house in California...nice things in his house, a wife who adores him, a job that he loves, and the most perfect angel baby ever born (that's just plain truth, that part) and really a wonderful life. I told the baby all about when we were kids...thinking about it now, though, I left out a bunch of good stories...I wonder what babies hear. I wonder what they think. I sat there staring at him, drinking in the feeling of just being with that baby. He smells just like new babies do...that smell...not Johnson's baby lotion, or even poopie diapers...that baby smell. I sat there talking to him, singing sometimes; touching his face and kissing his toes. If you rub this baby's forehead, and run your finger down his nose, his eyes close. (actually that happens with virtually every baby, but, I like to think I have the magic touch with him)
He loves me, I just know it. I wonder if it would be too much to send him a picture of his Aunty Daisy, just so he doesn't forget what I look like. His Blessing is at the begining of February, so I'll get to see him again, then...until then, I'll talk to him on the phone--maybe that sounds dorky. I cried a little when I said good-bye Saturday. I really want him to know me.
Sometimes I wish I lived out there near them, but then when I hear my sister-in-law talking about how they can't take the baby into Costco because she doesn't want him to contract RSV, I know that it's better that I'm here, where I don't have to keep my mouth shut as much. I can't judge. I've never been a first time parent. I wonder if I ever will be.

6 Comments:

At 28 November, 2005 11:15, Blogger My Daily Struggles said...

Just wait till the terrible two's.

 
At 28 November, 2005 11:31, Blogger daisyduke said...

that that is terrible is only because we make it such...granted 2 is much more 'active' than 1 month...i see that as maybe another reason it's good that I live here and not there...

 
At 28 November, 2005 14:32, Blogger Jim Cooper said...

Your entry is spoken like a true proud Aunt. Don't ever stop loving that kid (as If you ever could) - loving relatives are just as special (sometimes moreso) than loving parents.

Beautiful entry....

 
At 28 November, 2005 17:30, Blogger MamaKBear said...

I never thought I'd be a Mama...I've tried for the better part of 12 years to get pregnant, so I know well that ache you must be feeling.

I'm a Mama now only because my brother-in-law and his girlfriend are complete idiots who shouldn't be allowed to breed. I am currently foster Mom to two of his 7, (yep 7!) kids, including baby girl, who was only 3 weeks old when we got to bring her home from the hospital.

For now, just be the best Aunt you can be, even from far away.

 
At 29 November, 2005 09:39, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Congrats Aunt Daisy.

We are both in the same boat... we have little brothers that are Daddys!

But, isn't it nice being the Aunt that is able to give the kid back when he needs his diapers changed!

 
At 29 November, 2005 10:39, Blogger Kurt said...

There is something divine in babies. Pure love, total trust, and a willingness to accept an aunt or first-time father's feeble attempts at taking care of them.
Alice has a good point too. That's the part of being a grandpa that allows me to even consider it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home